Science Class Assistant, Part-time
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED FOR THE 2017-18 SCHOOL YEAR)
- Are you great with kids?
- Do you like science?
- Are you punctual, reliable, and willing to pitch in wherever you’re needed?
- Do you have a sense of humor and the ability to remain calm in the midst of controlled chaos?
If so, you may be right for the role of Rock-it Science Assistant at our laboratory classroom in Santa Clara. We use crazy stories in combination with exciting hands-on experiments to make kids enthusiastic about learning science. Think of us as "Mister Rogers meets MythBusters!"
Minimum age 18.
As a Class Assistant, your main duties will be to assist the instructor, pass out supplies, help with prep and cleanup, keep an eye out for students who may need some extra attention, etc. You’ll also keep track of the student database and sign-in sheets and interact with parents as needed. If you have a knack for storytelling, you may also have the opportunity to assist with the storytelling part of the lesson. If you're interested in eventually becoming a Rock-it Science instructor, being an Assistant is a good way to start.
Rate, Days and Hours
Rate: $15 per hour.
Days & Hours: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
Our classes are presented in three 10-week series (a total of 30 weeks beginning late September and ending early in June). The Assistant will be needed only during the weeks when classes are in session. Fall 2017 classes begin Tuesday, September 26.
Here's our 2017-2018 school year schedule:
- Fall Session: Sept. 26 - Dec 7 (No classes Thanksgiving week)
- BREAK - No Classes Dec 12 - Jan 4 (4 weeks)
- Winter Session: Jan 9 - Mar 15 (Ten weeks straight)
- BREAK - No Classes Mar 20-22
- Spring Session: Mar 27 - Jun 7 (No classes week of May 1-3)
How to Apply
- Apply by email only (no phone calls), and include “Assistant” in the subject line.
- Before you apply, be sure to read How to Present a Rock-it Science Lesson, so you understand our methods.
- In the body of your email, or in a cover letter, tell us what you like about the Rock-it Science method and why you think you'd be a good fit for us.
- And finally, here are some videos showing some of the experiments we do at Rock-it Science. This is a really fun job!