- Are you great with kids?
- Do you like science?
- Do you love telling stories?
- Are you punctual, reliable, and willing to pitch in wherever you’re needed?
- Do you have a sense of humor and the ability to remain calm in the midst of controlled chaos?
If so, you may be right for the role of Rock-it Science Summer Storyteller/Assistant at our laboratory classroom in Santa Clara. At Rock-it Science, we use crazy stories in combination with exciting hands-on experiments to make kids enthusiastic about learning science. For our summer camps this year, we're dividing the staff function into two roles: Science Instructor. and Storyteller/Assistant.
Minimum age 18.
Each Rock-it Science lesson includes a “crazy story” about our characters, Jack and Jill and The Evil Mister Fred. As we tell the story, we illustrate it on the whiteboard with stick figures. As a Storyteller, you’ll spend about 10-15 minutes of each lesson presenting the story, and the rest of the time assisting the Science Instructor.
As Assistant, your main duties will be to pass out supplies, help with prep and cleanup, keep an eye out for students who may need some extra attention, and generally assist the instructor. You’ll also keep track of the student database and sign-in sheets and interact with parents as needed.
All of our camps are half-day. You'll assist and present the stories for 3 lessons each morning, then repeat them in the afternoon with a different group of campers. So you'll present about 15 different stories per week, and do each one twice.
In the first four weeks of the summer, we offer four different camps, for a total of about 60 lessons. Then we repeat the same four camps in weeks five through eight.
(See also Science Instructor Job Description.)
Rate, Days and Hours
The rate for the Storyteller/Assistant is $15 per hour, full-time Mon-Fri.
Camps are 5 days per week for 8 weeks (except July 4). Summer 2017 camps are June 19 - Aug 11.
In addition to the summer camp sessions, you’ll need to attend orientation, training, and prep sessions on the following dates. The rate for these sessions is also $15 per hour.
- Training: Every Saturday morning from Apr. 22 through Jun 3, from 9 to noon. This is when you'll get familiar with the lessons (about 60 of them) and practice telling the stories.
- Prep Week: Mon, Jun 12 - Fri, Jun 16. This is when we prepare the equipment and materials you'll need for the lessons.
How to Apply
- Apply by email only (no phone calls), and include “Storyteller/Assistant” in the subject line.
- Before you apply, be sure to read How to Present a Rock-it Science Lesson.
- In the body of your email, or in a cover letter, tell us what you like about the Rock-it Science method and why you think you'd be a good fit for us.
- And finally, here are some videos showing some of the experiments we do at Rock-it Science. This is a really fun job!